So, for the duration of July 3 (UK time), Big Finish Productions
are having a sale: each of their first 50 Doctor Who
titles are on sale for 5 pounds each, or about $7.50 US (plus a bit of shipping).
If you're a fan of classic Doctor Who
, and you've never heard a Big Finish audio production, this is a great opportunity to give them a whirl.
I was a latecomer to the Big Finish world myself, and so out of the first 50 plays, I've heard all of the 8th Doctor ones, plus a smattering of others. The 8th Doctor audios are mostly excellent, but are really more effective if you listen to them as an ongoing story arc. Plus, the more standalone stories seem to rather divide people - I'm quite fond of The Stones of Venice
, which works fine as a standalone, but I've seen it regularly pop up on other people's "Worst Five Big Finish" lists, so I hesitate to give it a blanket recommendation.
If you wanted to get just two audios that are very good and give some idea of the range of Big Finish's output, I'd recommend getting Spare Parts
and The One Doctor
. Spare Parts
is absolutely creepy and chilling, while The One Doctor
is laugh-out-loud funny.
If you want more recommendations, neadods
has a good post here
At the moment, I've got a list of 11 stories I'm thinking of getting, that I'm trying to whittle down to 5 or 6. They are:
- The Holy Terror (It's by Rob Shearman and it features a talking penguin! Thereby guaranteeing that it will be the most emotionally affecting play featuring giant anthropomorphized flightless waterfowl that you hear this year!)
- Loups-Garoux (It's got Turlough and werewolves)
- Dust Breeding (it has the Master in it)
- Project: Twilight (it seems to be the start of a plotline that's going to be wound up in the coming year)
- Eye of the Scorpion (it introduces Erimem)
- The Church and the Crown (Peri, Erimem, and musketeers. Hilarity has got to ensue)
- Bang Bang-A-Boom! (Seven, Mel, and an intergalactic song contest. Hilarity has got to ensue.)
- Project: Lazarus (continuation of plotline that will be resolved later this year)