So, in honor of this past week having been rather stressful (not in a dramatic way, just in an "Oh, my, that's a lot of items on my to-do list" kind of way), I decided that today would be a day in which I could cheerfully ignore my to do list. That in fact, I would
cheerfully ignore my to do list - that I'd spend an entire day very deliberately not doing anything productive.
This is surprisingly difficult. Still, I think it's helping me step back from the giant to do list and decompress a bit.
So far today I've:
- Read a good chunk of the latest New Yorker while drinking chai.
- Gone for a nice long walk and enjoyed the lovely weather we're suddenly having again. (And wandered along a residential street half a mile from here in good time to see 5(!) police cars pull up to a house and lead a man away in handcuffs. I have no idea what that was about - it seemed impolite, as well as possibly unsafe, to stay and gawk.)
- Bought a few odds and ends for minor household repairs at the hardware store, which was formally speaking a violation of my "nothing productive" rule, but my walk happened to lead me down that way, and, anyway, hardware stores are fun.
- Had lunch with Daniel at one of the great little hole-in-the-wall taquerias that are liberally sprinkled about our neighborhood.
- Saw Coraline in 3D, which was gorgeous.
At the moment, I'm mucking around online until my urge to do laundry passes. (The laundry can wait until tomorrow!) And then I'll probably go curl up with a book.